English language is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. Approximately, a whopping 1.8 billion people were using the language as a medium of communication.
Especially in a country like India, one’s intellectuality will be judged on his/her proficiency in the language, English. Irrespective of where you live, pronouncing the language correctly sounds awesome and makes a long-lasting impact on the listener.
Unfortunately, most of us mispronounce some common English words in our day-to-day usage. So here we are presenting some most commonly mispronounced words and its correct pronunciation.
Before you read further, do yourself a favor to your tongue to make it more flexible with the below tongue-twisters.
“The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday”.
“Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks”.
Following are some of the commonly mispronounced words and its correct usage.
- Cache: Cash not Cash-ay
- Mischievous: mis-chi-vus not mis-chee-vius
- Meme: meem not may-may
- Almond: Aah-mund not al-mund
- Dengue: Dayn-gee not dayn-goo
- Women: Wimen not wumen
- Tomb: Toom (b silent) not Tohmb
- Wednesday: Wens-day not wed-nes-day
- Monk: Munk not mohnk
- Bowl: Bohl not bah-ul
- Et cetera: Et-setuh-ruh not exetuh-ruh
- Jewellery: Jool-ree not ju-el-uhree
- Probably: Proh-bub-lee not pro-bab-lee
- Forte: Fort not for-tay
- Often: Off-en (t is silent) not of-ten
- Dessert: Dizzert not dez-urt
- Coupon: Cu-pawn not coo-puhn
- Plumber: Plum-er (b is silent) not plum-ber
- Receipt: Ri-seet (p is silent) not ri-sipt
- Determine: Di-tuh(r)-min not di-tuh(r)-myn
- Poem: Po-um not po-em
- Data: Day-taa not daa-taa
- Debris: Deb-ree not deb-ris
- Pizza: Peet-zuh not pi-za
- Quote: Kwo-te not coat
- Police: Puh-leece not Poo-leece
- Truth: Troo-th not tru-th
After familiarizing with the correct pronunciations of the above-mentioned words, Google for more words and improve your English language skills.